East Coast Language College (ECLC) has partnered with the Nova Scotia International Student Program (NSISP) to offer the Nova Scotia Education Immersion Program (NSEIP).
The Nova Scotia Education Immersion Program (NSEIP) has been designed for current international teachers who want to enhance their teaching skills in an English-speaking environment. It is also for ESL students who are interested in teaching English in their home countries or ESL students who want to challenge themselves in English and learn from certified Nova Scotia educators.
This unique program has two elements:
1. ACE Teaching English to Young Learners (TEYL)
Participants will study for four weeks in the intensive TEYL program at ECLC to learn how to teach English to children aged 3 to 6, 7 to 12, and 13+. The ACE TEYL program gives participants the tools, experience, and competitive edge necessary for success in the expanding market of teaching English to children.
TEYL participants will have 100 hours of classroom instruction over four weeks. They will explore how children learn a second language using a practical, task-based, and participatory approach to teaching. They will be taught by professional, experienced, and energetic trainers who are certified by TESL Canada.
TEYL participants will accomplish the following:
- Learn to create activities, lesson plans, materials, and props to use with young learners
- Gain practical teaching skills such as pair work, small group work, and in-class discussions
- Improve communication and presentation skills
- Practice teaching in a safe environment
2. Education Immersion Program
Students can enrol for four, eight, or twelve weeks in the Education Immersion Program at one of Nova Scotia's public schools.
After completing TEYL, students will experience a Canadian classroom, where they will be partnered with a licensed teacher. During this time in a Nova Scotia public school, students will observe and practice instructional design and delivery in an environment led by trained professionals. Students will end the NSEIP experience with an appreciation for current Canadian classroom resources, methodology, and curriculum.
4 weeks TEYL + 4 weeks Education Immersion Program = 8 weeks of NSEIP
4 weeks TEYL + 8 weeks Education Immersion Program = 12 weeks of NSEIP
4 weeks TEYL + 12 weeks Education Immersion Program = 16 weeks of NSEIP
Please note the following:
- In 2018, TEYL starts on January 15, April 9, and August 20.
- Additional start dates are available for groups of eight or more students.
- Participants must have at least an intermediate level of English to start TEYL.
(TOEFL 45+ iBT, IELTS 5.0, or CEFR B1)
- Students will receive a joint ECLC and NSISP acceptance letter.
- Students are required to obtain a study permit.
Contact NSISP to enquire about pricing and to register for this exciting program.